Fiancé(e) Visa (K-1 visa)


A foreign national intending to marry an American citizen and live in the United States prior to the wedding must obtain a K-1 visa.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Marriage to an American citizen within 90 days after entering the United States.
  • The applicant must have continuously resided with the American citizen during the 2 years preceding the request for a K-1 visa.
  • Each spouse must prove the intention to remain together.

  • Period of Validity

  • The visa is valid for 4 months and can be renewed for an additional period of 4 months.

  • Status of dependents

  • Minor children of the visa holder can be granted authorization to work.

  • Particulars

  • The visa request must be filed with the American consulate in the country of origin of the alien.